Fórum of the Municipal Environment Secretaries of Brazilian Capitals (CB27) represents about one fourth of the Brazilian population and approximately 29% of the national GDP. It seeks to be an incubator of more sustainable development for Brazilian cities, disseminating and sharing experiences with other towns through the collaboration with institutions and networks with common objectives.
CB27 was created during the preparation process of Brazilian cities for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), in 2012. The Forum has since consolidated itself as a network to foster the sharing of experience among the Secretaries of the Environment of the 26 capital cities of Brazil and the country's capital, with the goal of promoting the strengthening of urban sustainability and cutting edge environmental agendas and the coordinated action necessary to advance them.
Since 2017, when ICLEI became a parter for institutional strengthening and planning, yearly stratetic plans are updated for Forum CB27. In May 2018, they outlined strategic goals for CB27 until 2020. In general, the Forum should continue to act on three guidelines:
- Expand the visibility of CB27
- Maintain and expand spaces of representation and pressure in favor of the cities'agenda with the Federal Government and the National Congress
- Strengthen financing for capital cities
The determined targets include:
- All Brazilian capital cities should begin the processes of implementing inventories of GHG emissions, as early as 2018
- All Brazilian capital cities will develop Municipal Urban Arborization Plans by 2019
- All 27 capital cities will commit to the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
Measured, quantitative outcomes / project impact
ICLEI has supported Fórum CB27 since its creation in 2012, and, in 2017, the Konrad Adenauer Foundation invited ICLEI to contribute to the institutional strengthening of the group through a strategic planning process and regular facilitation of CB27 meetings. ICLEI’s mission is directly connected to the Forum’s activities, in that it seeks to connect cities and local governments dedicated to sustainable development.
As a strategic partner of CB27, ICLEI supports its planning, content curation and meeting preparation, communication strategies, advocacy cooperation, and operation of the Executive Secretariat of the Forum, as well as actively participates in meetings and activites and coordinates advocacy strategies.