The City Climate Planner program represents distinct professional areas of practice. Specifically the program:
- Offers a professionalized career path for those interested in tackling climate change at the local level.
- Provides a quality assurance mechanism and recognition of expertise to employers.
- Presents a set of practices to enhance the overall quality of climate action planning and policy development.
- Has the ability to foster communities of practice or professional associations.
- Guides policy and promotes city-scale sustainable development and climate action by linking inventory findings to broader local and national climate goals.