About the initiative
Islands are on the front lines of climate change impacts, but also actively working on building resilience, with examples like Fiji leading efforts in oceans and climate action, Seychelles pioneering the world’s first blue bond and debt-for-adaptation-swap, Cozumel adopting a sustainable development and smart island model, and Hawaii setting an example as a subnational entity in implementing climate and sustainable development priorities effectively.
Front-line cities and islands builds a movement of mayors and leaders of island economies at the front-line of climate change impacts with mayors and leaders of resilience working together to champion local action in urban areas to deliver scalable, integrated solutions to urgently build resilience: on islands and globally.Go to the website
- Create a network of coastal cities and regions to highlight islands and their economies, cultivate city-to-city and island-to-island learning and strategic partnerships, determine priority issues that they can work on together, share solutions that have been undertaken and identify and develop funding sources and innovative financing mechanisms for the long term.
- Develop a special pathway through UNFCCC and other multilateral and donor processes for coastal cities, municipalities and settlements for funding in the short and medium term.
- Promote dialogue and agreement aimed at achieving innovative resilience solutions.
- City-To-City twinning and learning
- Partnering with local public-private sector platforms and initiatives
- Developing action plans and project mobilization
- Mobilizing implementation-focused, measurable commitments
- Supporting advocacy and outreach
- Measuring progress
Front-line emerges through Global Island Partnership (GLISPA) and ICLEI, and is championed by Fiji with the Leaders of the Global Island Partnership alongside Mayors and Leaders from the ICLEI network, and many others. The Organisation of East Caribbean States also joined Frontline as a regional partner in March 2018.
This influential collective will build a coalition of global resilience champions at the front-line to deliver scalable and integrated solutions to implement the SAMOA Pathway, Sendai Framework, Paris Climate Agreement, SDGs and the New Urban Agenda.