Climate Resilience for Communities
Empowering Izmir to safeguard people against climate hazards
The third largest city in Türkiye with 4.4 million inhabitants, Izmir is facing worsening regional climate challenges such as extreme rainfall events, heatwaves and flooding.
Part of the global Z Zurich Foundation’s Urban Climate Resilience Program, the Climate Resilience for Communities Project will support the Izmir Metropolitan Municipality and the residents of selected neighbourhoods to co-create plans to better handle climate challenges. This is the first initiative of this type in the country, and is poised to drive the development of community-based resilience solutions through collaborative and inclusive methodologies, including baseline assessments and participatory processes.
- Enhance the climate resilience of communities in selected neighbourhoods
- Facilitate collaboration between the city government, residents, and stakeholders
- Measure vulnerability and threats across four dimensions: social, physical, economic, and environmental
- Tackle climate-induced hazards considering the historical vulnerabilities of Izmir
- Identify and engage with urban communities in need
- Conduct in-depth analysis of each community’s climate-related issues
- Plan, develop, deliver customized solutions
- Capture learning and scale the program
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org