Analyze, Act, Accelerate toward climate neutrality
Local leadership is key to the global response to the challenge of climate change. ICLEI can help raise ambition and connect cities, towns, and regions in the world who seek to solve the problems of climate change and strive to achieve sustainable development.
The GreenClimateCities (GCC) Program offers cities a proven process methodology for walking step-by-step toward climate neutrality. This methodology and its associated Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) framework were tested by the cities engaged in the Urban-LEDS project.
Analyze, Act, Accelerate
The GCC methodology is a 9-step process in 3 phases: Analyze, Act and Accelerate – each unfolding into three sub-steps – outlining how climate risks and vulnerabilities can be assessed and options (to achieve low-to-no emissions development and climate adaptive development) can be identified and integrated into urban development policies, plans, and processes. It consists of a wide range of resources, tools and guidance notes to support local and regional governments to deliver ambitious climate action.
What GCC offers
- Process guidance and a framework tailor-made to provide local and regional governments with guidance and support to analyze, act, and accelerate climate action by integrating low emission and climate resilient development into urban development policies, plans, and processes
- Flexible, proven approach to accommodate different contexts, allowing any city, town, metropolis or district to engage at its own pace
- Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) process to demonstrate local commitment, capacity, and results
- Wide range of resources, tools, and guidance to support effective delivery of local climate action, supported by multi-disciplinary expertise, capacity building, and peer exchange opportunities
- Global network of cities, towns, and regions committed to tackling climate change and sustainable development, focusing on people, policy, finance, and technology
- Guidance on ways to improve local-national dialogue and cooperation to enhance climate action.
Benefits of GCC
Through the GCC process, your local government is empowered to:
- Develop institutional capacity for low emission development
- Enhance understanding of local strengths and potential
- Create or adapt processes and structures to integrate low emission development into urban planning, policies and projects across sectors and municipal departments
- Engage and empower stakeholders in a meaningful, inclusive way
- Approve an effective strategy to meet objectives and targets
- Strengthen enabling conditions by adopting/adapting policies and regulations
- Introduce mechanisms for delivery of programs and projects over time
- Improve monitoring and reporting capacity
- Demonstrate results and progress in a transparent and credible way
Learn more through these tools and materials.Learn more