A global project using multilevel action to accelerate low emission development and climate resilience across more than 60 cities worldwideLearn more
Human activities in cities contribute a significant and growing proportion of global greenhouse gas emissions, driving the demand for energy and other services in urban areas with rapid population growth. UN-Habitat and ICLEI are taking on this challenge by accelerating urban low emission development and climate resilience across more than 60 cities worldwide, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. Through Urban-LEDS, cities develop comprehensive urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (LEDS) and work together to implement their plans and develop pilot projects and finance models for LEDS implementation.
The Urban-LEDS project aims to make LEDS a key part of urban policy and planning in cities. By relying on a multilevel model in each country, as well as transboundary peer-to-peer exchange, this project is bringing LEDS to scale and facilitating a transformation of how urban infrastructures and services, such as transport, energy, water, waste and urban space, are planned, delivered and maintained.
Through Urban-LEDS, participating local governments:
- Carry out LEDS benchmarking.
- Assess sectoral and cross-sectoral LEDS solutions.
- Develop local LED strategies and action plans.
- Conduct LEDS stakeholder mapping and engagement.
- Conduct emissions inventory baseline assessments and monitoring.
- Engage in study visits and exchanges with select cities.
- Participate in workshops with experts and service providers.
- Identify financing models and meet with potential funders and investors.
- Integrate local action with national climate plans and processes.
The Urban-LEDS project is funded by the European Commission and jointly implemented by ICLEI and UN-Habitat.
The sole responsibility for the content of this webpage lies with the authors. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Union. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
For more information on LEDS activites and the Urban-LEDS project, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit urban-leds.org.Learn more